My good ol 2+ year Plex server host has been banned again. I have given up on this, I do not have access to an obscure server with few customers that will avoid future bans.

What’s the platform of choice moving forward? Need wife-approval factor. Emby and Jellyfin? Where can I source servers? Reddit has made these hard to find and I haven’t found a good community here.

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Yes, I know thats the case, but at least in the case of Germany where you are allowed a private copy, its still illegal to break DRM to do so. So most stuff you could rip for private use is made illegal, since it comes with DRM.

• istdaslol@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

But you can always use the DVR, you dont violate any DRM-Laws. As its included in many settop-boxes or even TVs. Plex even has a feature to automatically record for you based on EPG data

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Thanks, you are the first person to actually provide a real argument. I did not know Plex can connect to a DVR.

• istdaslol@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

plex can be a dvr. I have my cableTV directly pluged into my server and use plex for recording, as well as watching tv

• entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Jellyfin can work as a DVR too. You just need some extra hardware like a TVHeadend or a TV tuner card to hook it up to your cable/satellite/antenna feed