“There is not a native app on Steam deck today,” said Andrew Fear, GFN boss, back in January. “Use a Chromium browser to make it work. I would say that both Nvidia and Valve, I think we’re both interested in making [GeForce Now on Steam Deck] better. But we don’t have any announcements on a native app coming to Steam.”

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

It saves battery life and let’s you have a higher and smoother framerate. You’re talking shit on something you’ve never even tried. Playing on high graphics at 60fps is a hell of a lot nicer than low graphics at 30 fps.

• AttackPanda@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I didn’t talk shit about anything. I said that I played directly on the deck, asked how the NVIDIA remote play option worked, and said that I have the option for the Steam remote play but haven’t tried it. I am curious about the remote play options for both NVIDIA and Steam but since it is good enough for me, I haven’t tried anything other than local play. That wasn’t meant to indicate that anything was wrong with an alternative.

• Derin@lemmy.beru.co
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

People are not talking about remote play, lol.

GeForce Now is a cloud streaming service - meaning the games run on Nvidia machines with all settings maxed out, and you get the output. It’s great if you:

• live close to an Nvidia data center and pay for the service
        • prefer 60 fps with all settings on high to 30 fps with all settings on low
        • want to play games that aren’t supported on the deck
        • want to save space by not installing certain large games
        • want to save battery

You doing a completely separate thing and that being “good enough for you” would be like me asking for a recipe for apple pie and you responding with “well I went to McDonald’s the other day and ate a pie and it was swell”.

That’s not what we’re talking about, it doesn’t help the original poster, and your experience contributes nothing to the overall discussion.

Edit: Removed some text that served no purpose other than being nasty to the above commenter. Apologies.

• AttackPanda@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

OR, my comment and this thread could be viewed as an opportunity to identify a value in driving development of a more seamless NVIDIA streaming experience on the Deck. The original commenter indicated that there is no demand or desire for it and I (and I assume many others) own a deck and were not familiar with the service thus driving awareness and possibly a few more people to push the demand. This post is about the use of the service on the deck and this thread focuses on whether there is a demand. It would seem like education on the service running on a deck would be pretty on-topic.

• Derin@lemmy.beru.co
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Sure, that’s fair.

However, if that’s the case then I would encourage you to at least edit your above comment to indicate what you’ve learned - as it stands right now it still implies the discussion is about local streaming/Gamestream.