I remember when Proton launched it was like magic playing games like Doom and Nier Automata straight from the Linux Steam client with excellent performance. I do not miss the days of having the Windows version of Steam installed separately.

• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Freaky to read your account. I switched to ubuntu desktop like 3 weeks ago, bought a gpu, installed steam (ok, I had to reinstall from apr since snap didn’t work well), 2 days ago I installed cyberpunk and it runs at 80 fps mostly high-ultra settings without one crash so far, no special boot parameters. (I had to edit the exe today so it wouldn’t force controller config though)

It’s insane how far linux has come in the last 5 yrs. I hope it goes on like this. In opposition to amd, linux actually is our friend. :)

• guskikalola :linux:@social.vivaldi.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

@Haui @Dizzar wdym by in opossition to amd? As far as I know amd is better than nvidia. I recently built a new pc from ground and choose to use both amd cpu and gpu and I had 0 problems so far. Back when I had a nvidia gpu it used to cause more headaches by simply breaking once every few updates

• Dizzar@iusearchlinux.fyi
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I was wondering that too. As far as I know, when it comes to Linux, AMD and Intel are the way to go. Nvidia are the ones who generally tend to suck on linux (although I never had problems with my nvidia gpu, its pretty old tho)

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

In this case, you need to take my comment more literally.

AMD does a lot better than nvidia but amd still makes a lot of business decisions that are not consumer friendly. For example pricing their gpus a lot higher than they used to instead of more competitive to nvidia.

They do good but in opposition to open source, it is still a company and therefore not our „friend“. Open source in contrast is made by us, therefore undeniably more our friend.

It was a figure of speech, not meaning to dump on amd.