• @tias
    link
    18 months ago

That’s still not what we are discussing in this thread. You keep sidetracking.

• @zephyreks@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      18 months ago

You brought up a point and now you say I’m sidetracking? The gall…

Just admit that that argument point was stupid and we can move on.

• @tias
        link
        edit-2
        8 months ago

The point I brought up is:

1. That the criticism against China (which this thread is about) is warranted.
        2. The fact that not every Chinese citizen who criticizes the government is in jail does not make the criticism unwarranted.

This point is a direct response to the subject matter of the linked article and your support of it here, as they would have people believe that China somehow isn’t deserving of all the criticism it is getting.

You are sidetracking because you are consistently deflecting criticism of China by bringing up other countries and their faults, as if that would somehow make China better.

• @zephyreks@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          18 months ago

How about this: even putting one person in jail because of political opinion is an oppressive, undemocratic action.

That’s what you said. I’ve disproved that point and now you’re grasping at straws.

• @tias
            link
            edit-2
            8 months ago

You’ve done no such thing. All you’ve done is to accuse other countries of doing the same thing. But even if they do, the fact remains that it’s undemocratic and oppressive.

• @zephyreks@lemmy.mlOP
              link
              fedilink
              18 months ago

So… America is undemocratic and oppressive? The UK? Germany? France?

What the fuck do you consider democratic and unoppressive?

• @tias
                link
                edit-2
                8 months ago

All of those countries have done oppressive and undemocratic things that they deserve criticism for. That said, there are degrees of sin. A country is never completely democratic or completely oppressive. The US is a much worse offender than Germany, and arguably China is a worse offender than the US.

But again, this discussion isn’t about those countries. It’s about whether the criticism that has been directed at China is warranted or not warranted.

• @tias
                    link
                    edit-2
                    8 months ago

Do you always think in absolutes? Everyone has good and bad sides, and both sides have underlying reasons.

Yes, the oppressive tendencies that are happening in various degrees in different countries scare me a lot.