• julianwgs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Thanks for your comment. Not wrong in the sense that the data is wrong or faked, but that the metric is not useful. Especially when better metrics are readily available for that region. Can you name me one prediction or result which you can infer from the frequency of train travel other than „fun facts“? (I am actually really curious :) ). With the modal split you can for example calculate CO2 emissions or estimate needed capacity increases if you want to replace one mode with another and much more.

• kraxelkatze@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I think the number of trips says a lot about the role trains play in people’s everyday lives, maybe even more than the kilometers travelled. Sure, that’s not a “metric”, but it does give us an idea if people use trains just for vacation a few times a year, or for their commute to work or other daily trips. For someone taking a train just once a year, even if that is for hundeds of kilometers, we know that they will use a different means of transportation for most trips.

• Jajcus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Some trains may have the same function as buses or trams in other places (and metro… is metro a train here?), so the everyday commute of people in city A may not be that different than commute in city B, when first uses trams, and the second one has a local rail network with light trains. Actually the trains would probably have bigger negative impact on environment and life conditions in this scenario.

• nicetriangle@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

The environmental impact is gonna depend a lot on how the trains are powered. Some European countries are nearly 100% electric now. Others way less.

• cestvrai@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I really like when I can just show up at the station and jump of a train without the need to consult a timetable beforehand. Not sure what you can infer, but I value frequency!

• Spzi@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yes, absolutely a game changer. Maybe comparable to having your car parked in front of your house vs the need to rent a car for each trip.