Original Post by AuradioHiro on Minecraft subreddit.

And I am voting for crab.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

considering that the game is now owned by microsoft these votes just end up feeling kind of like a slap to the face, it’s like holding a thousand dollars in your hands and asking whether someone wants a piece of gum or a bouncy ball.

• qaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

They could’ve added all three options 10 times over and more with the effort required for holding the vote.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

also: reminder that minecraft still doesn’t have any sort of LOD, while at least 2 separate teams have managed to implement it just fine as mods.

This is a basic graphics feature that has been standard in games for ages now.

• empireOfLove@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Also reminder that Minecraft’s (java) rendering engine is so poorly written that a mod team of 2-3 devs can speed up the entire fucking game by DOUBLE just by writing basic optimizations.

It’s obvious they’ve gradually shifted to cash extraction than actual game building after the Microsft acquisition, coupled with forced data collection via Microsoft accounts, it’s turning into an ugly game tbh.

• nolannice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I feel like fan vote should be order release, not choose one - kill two. Especially since this year is all just normal animals that fit would fit in the world.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Exactly, they act as if implementing 3 mobs is some gargantuan task when a significant chunk of the work is already done by designing them… And then they just go ahead and throw that work into the trash if it doesn’t win the vote!

Gee i wonder why minecraft’s development is so slow…

• runjun@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Ya, any time I bring this up in Minecraft communities, people really don’t like it. But the updates are so sparse that it feels insulting.

• Sethayy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Random question in case I have free time, would it be legal to entirely reimpliment the Minecraft engine open source in a better programming language?

Then do something like opekjdk and just release alongside the official with QOL and performance improvements

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

https://content.minetest.net/packages/ryvnf/mineclonia/

you can completely legally extract the textures from your minecraft install and use a program to convert them to be used in minetest :)
        It’s just illegal to redistribute them.

There are also popular third party texture packs from minecraft that people have converted to be used in minetest, which are legal to redistribute so you can just download them and use as is :D

• Sethayy@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I like what I’m seeing, so it’d have to be in a decompiled super mario 64 type of way but could be possible!