Hi all,

I’ve been using Tasker for a long time to do things like custom text to speech on incoming notifications, etc. I’ve recently picked up a Samsung Tab and was about to create some automations around Dex, but it clicked as I opened Obtainium that Tasker was closed source.

Is anyone actively using another FOSS automation app that they’ve had good experience with? I’ve heard talk of Easer, but the docs don’t appear to be in english.

Thanks!

• CatUser
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

To take advantage on the subject, I have a question:

With Tasker (or its open source alternatives) is it possible to create some kind of automation that automatically backup the settings of my apps? I mean, let’s suppose a ToDo app that inside the app has a “Backup” button, I would like to know if it is possible for Tasker to automatically access that app, press the backup button and everything in the background without my intervention?

• fmstrat@lemmy.nowsci.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Not without click scripts. That being said, I think my next pet project is going to be a private cloud backup solution, and then I’m going to do a PR for every FOSS app I use to take advantage of it.

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Yes, but you might not be able to get it working in the background. Usually the way Tasker and similar tools work is by simulating touch/keyboard inputs, so to automate what you’re saying, the app would be brought to foreground and then the button would be clicked - and this automation can’t be done in the background.

However, some apps may make use of intents, wherein clicking on the backup button may trigger an intent that does the actual backup - and if you know what that intent is, you could call it directly from Tasker. You could use an app like APK Viewer or Manifest Viewer to check all the intents in the app, but you’ll need to figure out what each intent does by trial and error.