• DudeDudenson@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I usually wait 5 to 15 minutes before responding to the “hi”. Most of the time people send their question on minute 3 and then I respond instantly

• Shapillon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Salutations in written exchanges are a way for me to soothe my social anxiety by informally requesting permission to talk with someone ^^’

• Doesnotexist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I agree, me too. People are so easily angered these days. Saying “hi” to start a chat is not a sin.
        If this angers you, you get angry too easily.

• CoderKat@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

It’s not an anger thing. I’m not mad when people do it. But it’s a time wasting thing and I’m not gonna waste my already under-available time. This gets pushed a lot within my work. Senior devs get a lot of messages. I regularly am spending a substantial amount of my day dealing with messages asking for help, reviews, and more, so anything they can do to be more actionable makes things go better for everyone.

Also, there’s some people that take “hi” messages to extremes, as they won’t even send their actual message until you reply to the “hi”.

• Shapillon@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yeah no, it’s not something I do in a professional setting since in that instance I contact you if I need something from you which I can rightfully request.

• fiah
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Also, there’s some people that take “hi” messages to extremes, as they won’t even send their actual message until you reply to the “hi”.

oh no!

anyway