Arrrr my fellow pirates. Since I’m very unexperienced with the seas I ask for you guys, where can I get Minecraft from for Arch Linux. It’s not because I’m not willing to pay 20€ but because Microsoft is a giant bitch and I’m not willing to put money in their mouth(especially after they changed their privacy policy).

• isolatedscotch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

PolyMC had some drama a while ago with a hostile takeover by a dev. The other original devs forked it and are now continuing the development at Prism launcher

edit: whoops! i made an error reading and didnt notice the two l’s

• Xirup@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Yes, that’s why I mentioned that it’s based on Prism Launcher. I wonder who still use PolyMC.

• Chewy
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

A friend of mine still used PolyMC since they didn’t hear about the drama. Now they know and switched to Prism Launcher.

It’s the same with people still using MultiMC, since many people just don’t know Prism Launcher has more active development. Or they don’t care.

• IverCoder@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

There were some talks to migrating all PolyMC Flatpak installations to Prism Launcher, which was achieved by marking PolyMC as outdated on Flathub’s repo and marking Prism Launcher as the newer version, which will result in Flatpak clients replacing PolyMC with Prism Launcher while moving data over. The only thing users would notice is that the icon and name on the apps list changed, since all worlds and instances would stay in place.

Unfortunately I think they didn’t continue with this decision.

• CaptainBasculin@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I use it because I don’t want to break something while switching it to a different client; and it still gets updates.

• IverCoder@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

You can literally paste your PolyMC files to Prism Launcher and it will work perfectly