Deleted

• User Deleted@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Um no? Depends on what you mean by “locked down”. For custom ROM? Probabaly. But for me, I just want to install apps without the approval of a corporation. If the appstore servers shut down or gets DDOSed for some reason, you’re out of luck.

• relevants@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If you are an EU resident you could just keep your iPhone and wait for the sideloading law to kick in, then you don’t have to worry about that anymore either.

• relevants@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Oh, in that case I guess Apple might region lock the feature, so switching is still a good call. Although in the grand scheme of things I think the legislation will still have a positive impact elsewhere and possibly motivate some US states to follow suit, like what California did after the GDPR.

• ShadowAether@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Did apple shut down sideloading then? When I was testing on iOS, dev local installation was a pain but I would assume that’s still an option if you enable the dev features

• ShadowAether@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t think they are any more “locked down” than the other vendors, usually they have a bunch more features on top of base android. I never used their store tho so idk if that’s what you’re refering to