What ways do you know to attract users?

Perhaps there are those here who have been with Lemmy since its inception. It’s interesting to hear your experience in promoting your community or instance.

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

We already have that. There are lots of feddit.de .it .nl .something. And We have communities for politics in Europe / Gemany / …

I see lots of fellow germans here. So no issue from my side…

• Skunk@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

French speakers also have a quite active instance with jlai.lu (je l’ai lu) which translate to I have read it … Reddit …

Spanish communities seems to grow as well.

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I also see lots and lots of french and spanish PeerTube videos!

• ToroidalX@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, I’m talking more about smaller countries. We have plenty of Europeans and North Americans, but for example people from South America, I don’t see a lot, same goes for the East side

• Lvxferre@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

but for example people from South America

/me raises hand

That said I think that it’s better to create instances for languages than countries. Three reasons:

1. It’s language that dictates availability of a piece of content for the user.
        2. It encourages linguistic minorities to help us to grow the Fediverse. Reddit doesn’t give a fuck about them because they aren’t profitable merchandise=users for its customers=advertisers, but Lemmy isn’t bound to that.
        3. Some people would rather use their L2, L3 etc.

A good example of that is feddit.de - note how the instance targets German speakers, not people from Germany.

• ToroidalX@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s actually a very good idea. Language communities! So people could find a lot of content and not be separated by country

• rufus
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I love the internet because of the globalization. I can talk to people all over the world. Even without your good arguments, I’d consider it a loss if we divided that into nations.

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Are you from there? Or do you want to do missionary work for other parts of the world?

Because I would need some more information on the ‘target’ people. What kind of social media do they use currently in that country? Is Reddit even a thing there or do people there maybe don’t even need a good alternative to that? Maybe they like to spend their time on Twitter / Mastodon over there.

I know there are quite some Japanese people on Misskey. And I’ve seen lots of Spanish and French content on Peertube.

Ah yes. And you absolutely need admins/moderators who speak the language.