• @lemmesay
    link
    English
    1348 months ago

to people saying YouTube is a moneysink for google:

yes it is, if you just look at direct expenses of running it. but you’re overlooking the fact that it has enabled google to amass so much data(we’re taking about 500 hours worth of videos being uploaded per minute) that they can train anything with it.

it’s a service that’s too big to fail. even whole governments, courts, and other institutions depend on it. so, I refuse to believe that YouTube will be non-existant because a sliver of users refuse to be profiled by invasive advertisements.

• @postmateDumbass@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      8 months ago

If youtube is such a burden, donate it to

Cash-4-Clunker_Companies.com

A new charity that takes your failing social media company off your hands (and your ledger!) and donates it to the United States Postal Service to administer and, after government streamlining, channel all profits into funding summer camp and spring break for our underprivilaged senators, congresspeople, and justices of federal rank or higher.

• @Copernican@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      8 months ago

This is where I am a bit curious. In a world where we didn’t have user tracking and just did ads the old fashioned way like television via over the air signals and used content as proxy for viewer interest, would folks still use ad blockers or accept having ads as part of the viewing experience? Is there a happy medium where users are willing to watch some ads, and advertisers don’t track everything but still get some measurement that there shit is being viewed by real people and not bots. IDK. Is there a minutes per hour of ads per content that makes sense for video?

• @stewie3128@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        148 months ago

We just muted the TV during the ads and did something else until the show came back on. Ad breaks for regular shows like dramas were a predictable length of time, so you could time your bathroom or fridge run pretty well.

• @lemmesay
        link
        English
        88 months ago

I don’t mind ads if they’re solely keyword-based, and one per 30 mins or so. but I do mind the tracking by ad companies(most notably google and meta).

but nowadays I’m so deep into privacy hole that I steer clear of anything that’s not FOSS, unless it’s absolutely necessary(e.g.: degoogled android). So naturally, ublock origin stays on all the time.

• @xohshoo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        48 months ago

for sure. I listen to a number of podcasts that instead of having dynamically inserted ads, still have the hosts do an ad read. I don’t mind that at all

• @Buffalox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      8 months ago

to people saying YouTube is a moneysink for google:

Who says that today? This was true about YouTube many years ago, before Google took it over, I doubt that’s still true.

it’s a service that’s too big to fail.

No it’s not, most content of value will have back ups and can be uploaded to other services.

• @jwagner7813@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        18 months ago

They’re serving ads just fine. They’re now targeting those that don’t want the ads and actively try to avoid them. That’s the main difference.

• DudeBoy
        link
        fedilink
        English
        08 months ago

The data has so many more uses than just ads. They sell the data, use it to train AI, etc. The data itself is more valuable than their entire ad network.