To get rid of the annoying YouTube message (ad blocker are not allowed on Youtube) use this custom filter in uBlock extension

1. Open uBlock extension dashboard
  2. Open my filters tab
  3. Copy & Paste this code into my filter
  4. Apply changes and close all tabs

via: enderman

• Karyoplasma
    link
    English
    17 months ago

On Twitch they managed to outplay even uBlock, because the streaming is realtime and if you skip the ad segments, there’s no data to fall back to and the backend won’t send you the regular segments until the ad break is over (from what I understand). So at best you get a waiting screen instead of an ad.

Yes, you get a “commercial break in progress” banner, but it’s not loading ads when watching through HLS.

Ads on Twitch are not nearly as bad as on YouTube tho, so I actually have an exception for Twitch ads. I usually only watch esports tournaments and they make sure there are no ad breaks during games, just between segments. And on the rare occasion that I watch a regular stream, I get an ad or two maybe once every 45 minutes, which is fair.

• @azertyfun@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      27 months ago

The ads are really annoying if you streamhop frequently, because almost every time you switch stream you have to wait 30s-1m.

I pay for Turbo now so that’s fine, but the way it’s implemented seems really stupid to me, if you are looking for a stream to watch you sometimes get ad after ad after ad which can’t possibly be good for viewer retention.

• Karyoplasma
        link
        English
        37 months ago

Pre-roll ads are stupid, yeah. At least give me some time to figure out if I want to watch the stream… But that a thing that’s also worse on YT since they removed dislike count. Is it another clickbaity jump-cut-ridden garbage video or is it actually information? Roll the dice to find out!