Tongue firmly planted in cheek, of course :P

Image Transcription: Reddit Comments

Thanks, @cyberic@discuss.tchncs.de

/u/lotec

Is there an alternative to reddit, like reddit was to digg?

/u/tornadobob

I’d like to see a p2p version of reddit. That would help to keep it out of the hands of corporations. I for one live having a well organized site, but hate being at the mercy of a bunch of people in a board room.

/u/stratos

I think that could open a whole different can of worms, depending on the implementation. I’m not sure how I would feel about my connection being used to route traffic for subreddits with questionable/borderline illegal/copyrighted content, for example. It would just offload some potential legal problems from the site’s admins to its users.

/u/Thrashy

My thought was that you could build it a bit like XMPP, where individual servers can choose to federate with others, and provide a system where a user of one server can use his identity three on all federated servers. Think of it as having a “home” sub that talks to others in a web of connected subreddits, all of which honor the user identities of other connected subreddits.

• cyberic
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Image Transcription: Reddit Comments

/u/lotec

Is there an alternative to reddit, like reddit was to digg?

/u/tornadobob

I’d like to see a p2p version of reddit. That would help to keep it out of the hands of corporations. I for one live having a well organized site, but hate being at the mercy of a bunch of people in a board room.

/u/stratos

I think that could open a whole different can of worms, depending on the implementation. I’m not sure how I would feel about my connection being used to route traffic for subreddits with questionable/borderline illegal/copyrighted content, for example. It would just offload some potential legal problems from the site’s admins to its users.

/u/Thrashy

My thought was that you could build it a bit like XMPP, where individual servers can choose to federate with others, and provide a system where a user of one server can use his identity three on all federated servers. Think of it as having a “home” sub that talks to others in a web of connected subreddits, all of which honor the user identities of other connected subreddits.

I’m a human volunteer content transcriber and you could be too!

• the_itsb (she/her)@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

is there a Transcribers of the Fediverse community starting or are you just doing this to set an example? I love both options, just wondering if I should join the group or jump on in to participate.

• cyberic
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s not one yet, but i got permission from the mods at r/TranscribersOfReddit to use their tenplates as long as we change the footer.

I would love to start a community on lemmy for transcriptions, i’m just on a smaller instance.

• MoonRocketeer@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Shakespearean bot always came through at the worst possible times to make me laugh, like it would almost intentionally pick posts that were heated and finally cooled off only for it to come in for the punchline.

• Thrashy@beehaw.orgOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

the unit conversion bot was a nice QoL feature on the technical subs I tended to hang out on.

Shitty Unit Conversion Bot was good for a laugh too.

• Balssh@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not sure how you do this, but one way to speedup things is for example using something like iOS’ scan text from image feature. Of course, it needs some additional formatting but at least you don’t have to type all of the text.

• cyberic
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ll have to look into something similar, currently I’m transcribing on Windows.

Edit: Also, it forces me to pick a language to respond to you. Is that normal?

• Balssh@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m not sure how the language setting works when replying but afaik just leave it on english and everything should be fine. I’m sure there are tools for windows to automagically detect text in photos, maybe even Google has something to offer.

• Thrashy@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for doing this – do you mind if I copy/paste into the post body for posterity?

• cyberic
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Of course! Whatever we can do to make lemmy more accessible.