Ok, I’ve done a fair bit with wifi devices, now I’m waking up to zigbee.

Got myself an S26 R2 to play with, but just wanted to clarify a few things…

So, if I had a few of these around the house, would they form the man backbone of the zigbee mesh network? Or do they not provide that function?

And also - possibly n00b question - I presume there’s still a need / benefit to flash with esphome? Couldn’t see anything obvious on the site and only searched online for a few mins before giving up and asking for experience rather than random sites…

• Faceman🇦🇺
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m starting to replace some wifi devices with zigbee too, Yes many zigbee devices will act as a repeater or router for other devices to connect through, the only devices that tend not to have this functionality are battery powered devices like pushbuttons or remotes.

Just a word of warning, those S26 Zigbee outlets have quite poor range so you might still run into issues if you only have a couple of them.

As far as I know there is no alternative firmware for the Zigbee and Z-wave devices. nor is there any real need for one as they do tend to “just work” but that also means you are stuck with the features and functions they give you. There are some Zigbee bridges that can run ESPhome to add some customisability, but that is just for the wifi side of the device.

• SayCyberOnceMore@feddit.ukOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Ah, ok, so I need to have a few sockets near each other to prevent 1 being the mesh “gateway” and the inevitable network failure if someone disconnects it. I just presumed these things had a range similar to wifi.

• Faceman🇦🇺
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Zigbee can have very good range depending on the products, but those outlets have poor range initially due to a bad antenna id guess, then they are plugged into an outlet, low to the ground, up against a wall, probably near lots of wiring and even grounded metal boxes in many cases. So it’s a bit of a worst case scenario for signal strength.

In homeassistant you should be able to go into the device page and pull up signal level information to see if you need to add or move devices to fix a deadspot.