In a surprise move, Ubuntu developers have agreed to stop shipping Flatpak, preinstalled Flatpak apps, and any plugins needed to install Flatpak apps through a GUI software tool in the default package set across all eight of Ubuntu’s official flavors, as of the upcoming Ubuntu 23.04 release.

• 2xsaiko
    link
    English
    410 months ago

Yeah, it definitely does CLI applications better, I think Oracle uses it for some of their system monitoring services on Oracle Cloud for example. At least the snap issue I linked is also still open unlike the issue for better CLI handling for Flatpak which was closed without being fixed and makes the guy who closed it look like an arrogant asshole.

To be honest I don’t really like either of these because they both have big flaws like that, and of the three major “standalone app formats” I prefer AppImage the most simply because I can just download those without needing to install some other daemon first.

• Mike Steele
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

@2xsaiko Was this in response to my response to someone asking about new distros? New to Mastodon!

Haven’t noticed the snaps much, but when I have, it was something weird that made me think it probably wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t installed the snap… probably my aversion to learning something new and unrelated. I absolutely hated systemd when it first got pushed by Redhat, but I’ve come around.

Yeah, not liking the tone of that developer. Maybe needs an LLM-bedside-coprocessor. ;)

• 2xsaiko
        link
        English
        110 months ago

@soulrx@mastodon.social It’s in response to this comment. Looks like Mastodon doesn’t really deal well with Lemmy comment threads (and I think I have to explicitly tag you for you to see it?) :P