From article:

If you have the Brave Browser installed on your Windows devices, then you may also have Brave VPN services installed on the machine. Brave installs these services without user consent on Windows devices.

More reason to ditch the crypto bro browser.

• Rikj000
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

True open source projects like LibreWolf, Ungoogled Chromium > Sketchy world of Brave

• ByteWelder@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I applaud LibreWolf’s efforts, but the hard-coded timezone makes it unusable for me. Other than that, it’s a great browser. I used it several months until the timezone confusion got the best of me.

• ByteWelder@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

If I recall correctly, it was meant as a measure against fingerprinting. It’s basically one less thing to uniquely define a user based on the info that the browser gives to a website. I’m not sure if it’s still like that, cause it’s been easily a year since I used LibreWolf.

• Baggins@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yes, what is the deal? I can’t say that I’ve noticed any issues. Am in UK if that makes a difference. And I usually run it through Proton VPN.

• Aatube@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

While I’ve never used LibreWolf before (I use Waterfox), that probably does make a difference as the UK is UTC+0.

• abhibeckert@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Two issues.

First of all a lot of websites show times in your current timezone. Beehaw for example says you wrote your post “2 days ago”. Depending what timezone my browser is in, that could display 3 days or 1 day. When I hover over it, it shows the exact date/time in my timezone. Which is handy.

Second it doesn’t actually achieve the intended goal. Even if you use a VPN chances are you’ve set it to give you a public IP address close to you to have good performance. And if your IP address is in Proton’s London datacentre but your timezone is UTC+0 when everyone else is UTC+1… well you stand out like a single black sheep in a flock of white ones and ad networks are absolutely fingerprinting you with that.