Hi, I have built a microvawe transformer spotwelder, I have put a single turn of welder wire for in the secondary and I’m timing it with arduino. Worth mentioning it was/is a 230V transformer. Electrodes are sharpened copper rods. I believe the voltage is still high. The spotwelds it produces are slightly discolored and not as strong as you would expect. Is this design fundamentally borked? Is there anything else I can make to make it better? Photo from test stage before it was built into a project box, it is less “shocking” now.

• DontNoodles
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I don’t have any improvements to offer but I want to mention that I saw a crazy video that used a circuit breaker as a spot welding device. The concept is pretty much right and it is as cheap as it can gets, but it is electroboom kind of crazy and the guy even hurt himself on camera while using it.

• Rolivers
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Where is the video? Electroboom craziness sounds entertaining.

• DontNoodles
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_pD0W_Fm6g

He burnt himself off a 12v battery. Increase the voltage by the amount you want to live dangerously at the benefit of getting better weld. It also suggests using two MCBs in series in case one of them does not trip for any reason.