We’re a very small team with little experience in hiring but got approval for a new engineer. Basically HR will look for people through the usual channels and I think we have a reasonably good job description. Unfortunately the coding challenge (a 30h+ take home) is atrociously difficult and doesn’t really reflect what we do. On the other hand I think the false positive rate would be low. FWIW it’s a Linux application and it might be difficult to only count on experience from the CV.

Any ideas how to build a good challenge from scratch and what time constraints are reasonable?

• hi65435OP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thanks for the detailed answer. Yeah the challenge IS insane. Although I must admit I did it myself because the job was (and still is) very interesting and was a chance to switch from web development to application development. (And yes, during the time I wasn’t full-time employed)

I guess I’ll see if I can make a list of the current and typical challenges and see how to extract some toy task out of it that makes use of the libraries we use.