English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I have blocked lemmygrad

so did I

and other tankie/nazi (same shit) instances (domains) myself.

didn’t see that yet but at least some user with a name in that direction.

Anyway, I found it quite not amusing to see this stuff on my second day of using Lemmy - which was 2 weeks ago or so. Honestly, I’ve seen enough online communities degenerate and having a few power users/enthusiasts who like fine tuning every setting is not enough to get a healthy community going.

I think if Lemmy doesn’t get it’s shit together in that regard, it’ll be like Mastodon where there are alt-right communities powered by it and then another normal (or whatever you want to call it?) part. However I’ve been quite surprised when my first subscriber was some alt-right dude. That was enough for me to delete my account.

At the moment I see chances 50/50 that Lemmy can make it. But this highly depends on:

1. making it convenient for non-technical people (discoverability across instances)
    2. have a reasonable filtering system (if it’s fully democratic and it works that would be awesome. but to be realistic, that would be a first…)

• In Europe it’s actually quite standard to give take home challenges (1-3h) and leetcode tasks are rare but becoming more common. Also many companies only do 1 or 2 rounds of interviews. (HR and technical) One could also argue that to prepare for leetcode style interviews much more time needs to be invested upfront, at least if it’s not easy questions.

I would probably not want to avoid any challenge at all, but 1-2h seems reasonable to me. (live or take home)

• This sounds interesting. Actually my job before was also in a large org and while there was a coding part, it was very basic. (String splitting, joining, a design/modelling task and pair programming on the actual code with the team lead) That team was quite large and everybody contributed their part.

Anyway in the current company the actual day-to-day challenges are figuring out things in the Linux ecosystem and also getting things done.

• Thanks for the detailed answer. Yeah the challenge IS insane. Although I must admit I did it myself because the job was (and still is) very interesting and was a chance to switch from web development to application development. (And yes, during the time I wasn’t full-time employed)

I guess I’ll see if I can make a list of the current and typical challenges and see how to extract some toy task out of it that makes use of the libraries we use.

• I think this is not how it works. It’s like saying: I’ll connect a physical lock to my laptop and I’m more secure. (Many PC laptops have on the side a standardized connector for physical locks which is often used in electronics stores)

Better to go a step back and to consider your Threat Model. What are you doing? What are things that could likely happen right now? Is <insert security solution> adding to your security/backing up your Threat Model or is it making things worse because it’s adding stuff that you don’t need, making workflows so complicated you’re likely to misconfigure?

To give a more practical example, there have been a lot of conspiracy theories about Antivirus software. In some sense the nay sayers are right and it actually adds possible holes since they tend to run with elevated privileges. On the other hand, does it really matter for your use case? If you download random stuff online, you should probably install one. (Probably also for your fellow humans so your computer doesn’t end up being a botnet host) But if everything on your computer is hand-picked ™, you might be actually right and they decrease security.

• Actually I once applied for a job at Reddit, there were like 5 or 6 interviews spread over 2 days basically. And almost everyone I talked to did something related to Ads. (The position I was considered for would have been about some service to deal with problematic posts, hate etc.) So it’s just a huge ad machine.

This reminds me also about this Facebook documentary from 2 years ago, how ML algorithms implicitly shape how we interact. Maybe such efforts were better put into good moderation (oof), and a well-working UI…

That said, I wouldn’t mind paying a little and already even did so to give awards and also for an App. (Can’t be that much they earn with ads anyway?) I hope Lemmy is there to stay though, I’d be happy to donate/contribute every once in a while.