My beautiful cat, Tequila, was hit by a car on 11th September this year around 10:25 am. She died on the spot in the middle of the street. It still hurts so much every day to wait for her to come home again. I miss her every morning, because she doesn’t wake me up. I miss her when I come home from work, because she is not waiting for me to be petted. And I miss her in the evening, when she should be cuddling on my lap while I’m reading on the couch. She was my jumping piece of luck, but on that faithful day she ran out of luck. I will hang this picture of her next to her favorite spot on the couch.

Rest in peace Tequila.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

that’s what happens when we as a society blithely accept that there are murder machines screaming through our environments.

a significant part of why i’m anti-car is because of how much of a threat they are to animals.

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

The problem isn’t just with cars. Cats do unbelievable damage to ecosystems that didn’t evolve alongside them. They’ve caused dozens of extinctions–over 60 species of small birds and mammals, extinct because of them. Not to mention disease and predation. Cats live longer and healthier lives inside.

• Rolder@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Both things can be bad at the same time. For example, free roaming cats decimate bird/rodent populations

• TwoGems@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Cars are awful but there are other dangers to cats besides cars. There are dogs that frequently kill cats and other dangers like poisons. Cats are also responsible for several bird species going extinct. They should not be outside.

https://yoloaudubon.org/feral-cats-and-wild-birds/

“A recent study by the Smithsonian Institution and the US Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that domestic cats kill about 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion small mammals each year in the lower forty-eight states. This is far higher—and probably more accurate–than previous figures, and likely exceeds all other sources of human-related losses of these animals. That makes it a major bird conservation concern.”

“Outdoor domestic cats are a recognized threat to global biodiversity. Cats have contributed to the extinction of 63 species of birds, mammals, and reptiles in the wild and continue to adversely impact a wide variety of other species, including those at risk of extinction, such as Piping Plover.”

https://abcbirds.org/program/cats-indoors/cats-and-birds/

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

it’s almost like people specifically moved here from reddit, what a world huh?

and if that happens often enough to annoy you, maybe that should be a minor hint that it’s a thing many people care about? but no, easier to dismiss it and not have to think.