I have to fix a slightly very stupid mistake that I’ve made.

I’m trying to recreate the conductive lines of a membrane keyboard, unfortunately after trying to unglue them they got ripped off, I’ve painted 2 coats but it I’m receiving no signs of life from it.

Is Liquidwire the wrong paint for the job? Maybe the circuit lines ar too long to fix? Should I try copper or silver paint?

I’ve read online that shaking the pain is not enough and that I should also stirr it.

• Eufalconimorph
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Copper or silver-based should be lower resistance. These conductive paints tend not to be very conductive, the carbon stuff is essentially making a thin-film carbon composition resistor. Good for repairing rear window defroster heating elements, not so great as a 0-ohm trace in a keyboard. For short (<1cm) wires it’s usually not too bad, but with the amount of damage I’m not sure you’ll be able to repair the thing.

It looks like it might be from a Model M-style keyboard. Unicomp sells those.

• ReSordo@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Unfortunately the shipping fees would kill me since I’m in Europe, I really wish I could buy a new membrane but it seems like I need to do the repair myself.

Would copper tape suffice as a low resistance trace?

• Eufalconimorph
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Worth trying. It’s already broken, you can’t really make it much worse. It’d probably work, and worst case you’re back where you started & paying for expensive shipping.