• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Hmm… it seems like the disparity of “badness” you describe would’ve been true a few months ago, but no longer is?

Most of what you’ve said about Palestinians also describes israel now? Seems that way anyway.

If we were looking for the path to peace with the least casualties, this doesn’t seem like it.

• rdri@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Can you give any example of concrete case where Israel did anything comparable to what hamas did at October 7th?

• DogMuffins
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

No. I didn’t say nor imply that I could. I’m not saying they’re both as bad as each other. I’m saying that a humanitarian crisis is unfolding, and western nations are standing in support.

• rdri@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Support of what? Palestinians will get humanitarian aid either way. Problem is that they (well, hamas) will try to use it to build more rockets, not to improve their lives.

• DogMuffins
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

In support of Israel while they cause a humanitarian crisis.

• rdri@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

And what exactly Palestinians have caused by slaughtering hundreds of civillians on October 7th? Nothing? They are innocent and should be left alone?

• DogMuffins
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

It’s like you’re intentionally ignoring what I’m saying. Of course they’re not innocent. Yes they should be held accountable.

If you think killing 5,000 civilians is an appropriate response then I don’t know what to say to you.

• rdri@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

And the thing is there is no one to hold them accountable because there is no proper government and institutions in Gaza. Israel is different because it is being watched, and will be held accountable for any wrongdoings.

Now about 5,000.

1. Where exactly did you get it from? We know hamas is lying about a lot of things including deaths count. There was no evidence of those alleged 800 deaths at the “hospital bombing”.

2. Why exactly do you think you need to throw big numbers here? Even one victim means Israel’s actions must be examined and judged, yes. That goes without saying because of how Israel is connected to the rest of the world. But when hamas fires missiles from some building that, for example, has 100,000 civillians in it, it is hamas who says “it is okay if all these people are killed”, not Israel. That much should be obvious even to Palestinians.

• DogMuffins
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    8 months ago

You again.

I respect you, but you need to understand that you and I are going to disagree as to whether or not Israel’s response is appropriate under the circumstances. We could go through this whole tête-à-tête again, and we will reduce our respective positions down to this same disagreement.

Where exactly did you get it from?

Don’t be daft. We’ve both been reading articles based on the same announcements by the hamas-run gazan health ministry. We both know those numbers are overstated, but my point remains the same whether it’s over-stated by 500, 1000, or 4000. It doesn’t matter.

Why exactly do you think you need to throw big numbers here?

IDK, why did you include 100,000 in your response?

But when hamas fires missiles from some building that, for example, has 100,000 civillians in it, it is hamas who says “it is okay if all these people are killed”, not Israel.

They’ve fired something like 7,000 missiles in the last 2 weeks and achieved 11 casualties.

• mwguy@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Most of what you’ve said about Palestinians also describes israel now? Seems that way anyway.

The .de is showing.

• mwguy@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Then you should be practical enough to realize that almost none of what was said about Palestinians in that statement describes Israel now.

• DogMuffins
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Ok mate. Believe it or not, I’m not looking for an argument about who is most awful between Palestinians and Israelis.

My question is, why the world feels the need to take sides in this conflict rather than simply condemning the violence perpetrated by both sides.

The hatred violence, and wrongdoing does not need to be equal between all combatants in order for the hatred, violence, and wrongdoing to be condemned.

• mwguy@infosec.pub
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

My question is, why the world feels the need to take sides in this conflict rather than simply condemning the violence perpetrated by both sides.

Well imagine that the native Australian population, the Aboriginals decoded they wanted their land back and started murdering all the white folk and they killed the equivalent of about 5,000 people (adjusted for Australia’s population); mostly eldely and children. They restarted started a bombing campaign that threatened every inch of Australia. And they did this after ~60 years of similar actions on a smaller scale.

Would you and your countrymen submit to genocide for peace? Or would you fight back?

For you and I (USA), nations built on European Colonialism; it should be clear why that Colonialism was wrong but why it can’t be undone. Trying to correct past atrocities with a modern genocide isn’t acceptable and the last 20 years of Hamas’s rule in Gaza has shown that Genocide is all it will accept.

• silly goose meekah@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                8 months ago

Well, since Hamas doesn’t represent all of Palestine, it doesn’t make sense to decimate the whole of Palestine. Sure, send in special forces that track down Hamas and kill them. But don’t carpet bomb civilian areas in the hopes you get the right people.

Also, you’re saying Israel has been doing this on a smaller scale. I don’t think that’s entirely accurate. Yes, many years “just” a few hundred Palestinians were killed by Israel. But a few times Israel already committed atrocities much worse than what Hamas did on October 7th. And that’s ignoring that Palestine already has half the population of Israel. And also ignoring all the other ways Israel has been oppressing them, like heavily regulating and limiting trade with other nations or preventing Palestine from having an army

Are you seriously trying to argue that Israel doing this to Palestine for the past half century should be ignored? Just because maybe the majority of years it was less deaths? Do you seriously not understand why Palestinians are fighting back? Or do you seriously believe that Palestinians are the aggressors here?

• DogMuffins
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

That’s just not analogous though.

I am loathe to defend hamas, but the UN stats just don’t portray them as the aggressors.

If Australian aboriginals started terrorising the rest of us, of course we would use reasonable force to bring that to a stop. We would also be negotiating, and compromising. If we decided that peaceful solutions had been exhausted, I can assure you other countries wouldn’t be sending us billions of dollars worth of hardware with which to exterminate them.

• flathead@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  8 months ago

For the first years of Australia’s colonization, there was militant Aboriginal resistance - of course, given their technological disadvantages, it was not successful and the indigenous population were slaughtered at every turn.

The most well-known and feared of the early insurrectionists - a Bidjigal man named Pemulwuy - is today celebrated by white Australian culture - one of Sydney’s suburbs is named for him. The British were somewhat less charitable in 1802, when he was finally captured, shot and beheaded after many years of fighting against their presence in early Sydney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_frontier_wars

https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/pemulwuy

• DogMuffins
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    8 months ago

I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Yes colonists did some very bad things in Australia 200 years ago. Should we not strove to hold ourselves to a higher standard?

“Yes Israel is creating a humanitarian crisis, but we it’s fine to support their endeavours because we did some very bad things 200 years ago”.

• mwguy@infosec.pub
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

I am loathe to defend hamas, but the UN stats just don’t portray them as the aggressors.

Mr Dog muffins, if the Aboriginals in Australia started a campaign of war against the white Austrailians, what makes you think the casualty numbers would be less skewed there?

If Australian aboriginals started terrorising the rest of us, of course we would use reasonable force to bring that to a stop. If we decided that peaceful solutions had been exhausted,

Well congrats now you’re doing the same thing Israel is doing. Peaceful solutions with Hamas have been exhausted.

I can assure you other countries wouldn’t be sending us billions of dollars worth of hardware with which to exterminate them.

How would you feel if we sent billions of dollars of Aid to the people trying to genocide you instead? What if we continued to commit billions in aid in the form of materials we knew were being used to create weapons to indiscriminately kill Australians. And then we condemned you for trying to stop that miltilitary aid?

The good news is, for countries like ours; we don’t have to pretend to sit up on our high horse like the Europeans do. We have complicated, often evil histories with our colonized populations. But as much as we can and should call out that history as evil, as genocide; we should also know that you can’t answer a genocide with genocide.

• DogMuffins
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    8 months ago

Those stats aren’t from war-time - this isn’t a spears vs guns situation. Sorry maye you’re welcome to criticise me all you like for Australia’s treatment of first nations people but your aboriginal metaphor is not analogous to the gaza conflict and isn’t helping illustrate your point.

The core of our disagreement is the level of force used in response.

Forgive me, but I’ve come to expect a “fucked around and found out” mode of diplomacy from the US. As in, hamas threw the first punch so theres a moral imperative to grind gaza into the dust.

I don’t see it that way. A few weeks ago there was a stale mate. Israel has adequate defences. Securing Israel with minimal loss of life ought to be the priority.

I’m happy to disagree in this regard, neither of us are going to change our positions.

• mightyfoolish@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

The West knows they messed up with the actual historical countries of the area. Too many milenia of trying to take over and cause havoc (like in 63 BC when the Romans left a few hundred people alive of the natives like the Samaritans, the Crusades, etc.). They saw what the Germans did to European Jews and saw an opportunity: “If we can’t make friends in the traditional sense, we’ll create one.”

They shipped Jews from all over the world to Palestine. As their citizens of these Western countries are either Christian or come from Christian families, all this Israel nonsense sounds vaguely correct. These countries acted like dogs. It got to the point where France even pretended to allies to Arabic countries, only to reveal it was a lie/trap.

Then the media comes in and sneakily replaces Palestinians with Hamas when it benefits Israel’s cause even though Hamas hasn’t went through elections in nearly two decades and the average age of someone from Gaza is somewhere between 14 and 18.

Israel is just a western invention to give the West an ally in the region and it worked because it all sounds vaguely biblical correct to a world where Christianity just means “I hate gays and abortions and we don’t actually need to act like Jesus who was kind of Jewish anyways.”