A French company (SilMach) backed by Timex Group is claiming to have opened a new chapter in watchmaking with the creation of a silicon motor that matches the accuracy of quartz-based movements with the elegance of a mechanical watch’s sweeping hands.

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

So this is pretty much just an advertisement. A total of 69 (giggidy) people so far have pre ordered this watch on Kickstarter.

It’s an overpriced watch with cheap materials and a novel motor. Hell, they even want 300 pounds for an extra leather strap.

All the intricate gears and gems and precise parts/machinery that makes high end watched actually have a bit of merit to their cost…none of it is in this watch. The thing though be 150. Not 1800.

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I wonder how long the battery lasts. However, some big watches with conventional mechanisms use standard small movements with lots of free space (I could extend the battery life by sticking 4 more SR626SW cells there) so a larger battery could be an option.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It says the battery lasts 10 years before you have to replace it.

But I preferred my watches (I’ve gone smartwatch, now) to have the self winding as you walk mechanism inside. If you had more than one they made moving display cases that would keep them wound if you didn’t want to bother with setting the time again after a few days of not wearing it, plus those always seemed way cooler than needing a battery.

• Salamendacious@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

There’s no way I’d buy one right now. I do own a couple of the more affordable Timex watches and about half a dozen, really inexpensive, novelty Chinese watches.