link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Sort of depends on what you want to host.

AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud are IaaS services. Using them for “web hosting” is probably not a good use of your time or money. AWS does have a number of managed, or semi-managed services but you tend to pay a premium for for them.

• I wouldn’t use AWS unless you’re building a full stack of resources and are willing to pay a premium for adaptability.
      • Source: I am an cloud systems engineer that specializes in AWS
    • Azure is similar in scope and just a bit cheaper (sometimes), also has a steep learning curve (AKA terrible documentation) if you’re not already familiar with Microsoft’s ideas about system administration.
      • Source: I am an old bitter Linux user and the world of MS is strange and scary for me.
    • Don’t use Google unless you really need inconsistency and services that will just get shut down or radically change price one day.
    • Linode is a bit like AWS-lite and a bit cheaper, but its all Linux all the time
    • Dreamhost can be good and cheap for simple stuff but most applications are moving to docker and they don’t have any kind of container service.
    • simple@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I wouldn’t use AWS unless you’re building a full stack of resources and are willing to pay a premium for adaptability.

I also wouldn’t use it if you’re not super experienced in it, I used up all my $50 credit on a DNS server I accidentally left open for a few months but thought I deleted. AWS is a giant footgun for the inexperienced.