• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Yellow was for business. The giant white book was for people.

• The Picard Maneuver@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I mostly remember them being combined into one big yellow book, but separated by page color (yellow for business, white for personal).

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I think it depended on how big the city was for if they were separated or not.

• CoderKat@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s interesting how universal the use of colour was. I grew up in a smaller province most people don’t know (or at least can’t spell). The phone books were made by a crown corp that was pretty much just for the province. Yet, same colour schemes. Outside of the book was yellow. White pages for people, yellow for businesses.

• derpgon@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

We had the same (all yellow, but personal part was white, or at least as white as the shitty paper could be). But they were called “Golden pages” instead (“Žluté” (yellow) vs “Zlaté” (golden)), probably because in our language it sounds better.

Czechia btw.

• Frostbeard@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

In Norway there was one big book. Can’t remember the "catchment area. White pages where private, yellow businesses. Last one published in 2009, tho smaller one for local district was published until 2017