A video for any doubters that Linux gaming is better than Windows in which it DESTROYS Windows by 25% in AC Odyssey. To put it in perspective, 25% improvement is like getting a new GPU. You can save $600 and instead use something like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed for free.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t really care to make Linux look better but I did a video some days ago and EVERYONE (on Reddit) told me Linux gaming CANNOT be faster or smoother. This is the proof it’s both and more videos will be coming.

• Reverse ModuleOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago
    • The video is still being transcoded, check again later.
    • You can pause the video to check the settings, timing things like this properly is almost impossible but for next videos I will edit properly. Thank you for the feedback.
    • The character is also at the beginning on the Linux side but he just walks on Windows. This is a dynamic scene so details like that are expected to differ.
    • AC Odyssey doesn’t have Ray Tracing and DXVK is mature enough to render everything properly (and at better frames).

You are most welcome. I really think disbelief in how much better Linux is derives from a really cumbersome past. I’ve been benchmarking games on Windows and Linux for 3 years now.

At first performance was a little better/same on Linux, then it improved and then it improved vastly.

Don’t fear that Proton is a compatibility layer. Linux overall (with its lightness, better Filesystems and optimizations) can achieve great results like this in most DX11 games. I will do a MIrage Benchmark as well on Tumbleweed vs Windows 11 to see how things are on he DX12 side. Ray Tracing is not ready on Linux on AMD yet so that will have to wait.

• AlphaOmega@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I don’t understand why people think 25% plus is “unbelievable”. It takes like 30 minutes to set up dual boot, just test it yourself.

I’m honestly surprised it’s not more.

I got over 25% increase in FPS, no micro stutters and I was on a higher resolution in Linux. Apex legends

• BURN@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Because just as many people have had a complete opposite experience

When I tried Apex on Manjaro a few weeks back I saw a ~15% decrease in frames and major stutters.

A single system, running untested benchmarks and without any external validation from a trusted source doesn’t mean anything. Just like my experience with it isn’t universal, neither is either of yours.

• AlphaOmega@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yeah I got worse performance on some Linux OSs. This was on PopOS. Every Linux distro will be different, I suggest sticking with the current best gaming distro… not sure what that is currently, but I think Arch was previously one of the best distro for gaming. Once you have that and proton going, you will should see a difference.

Unless your on Nvidia: in which case I hear it’s hit and miss for performance gains, I see no reason why it shouldn’t perform better in the majority of cases.

Even Microsoft uses Linux over their own products… https://www.cybersecurity-insiders.com/microsoft-uses-linux-instead-of-windows-for-its-azure-sphere/

• Reverse ModuleOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Exactly this. I am willing to believe these people either don’t game on Linux or just use Nvidia which has less performance on Linux. In any case Apex is a good idea. After Mirage which is on the schedule perhaps Apex will be the next one.