• Tartas1995
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

That is a really bad take.

The meme is expressing that a strong password is a lot worse when reused.

Even if one agrees with your take, the meme is accurate.

But your take is really bad because “it needs to be leaked and cracked” ignores so many alternative ways to steal passwords. Xxs keylogger, mitm, phishing… And some of these attacks are making it really difficult or unlikely to succeed. E.g. the chance of a phishing email for your bank or apple icloud is much more likely than a phishing email about e.g. your babyphone. Segregation of accounts is also important because obviously if you use the same password 30 times, then there are 30 places to leak your password and some might use md5.

• newIdentity@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

But a strong password doesn’t help you with phishing attacks and such attacks. It really only protects you against database breaches and direct password Bruteforce.

Reusing a password doesn’t destroy the whole security aspect you get from a strong password like the meme implies. Just some of it.

Of course you should both not reuse passwords and use strong passwords

• Tartas1995
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You have successfully missed my point, and apparently your own???

I am not saying strong passwords are protecting you from phishing. I never did.

The meme is saying reusing the password “ruins” a lot of the security benefits of a strong password. And it does. Like you agree.

So for you, reusing passwords… That is what I am taking about, as you expressed the reusing passwords is fine because it has to be cracked and with strong password that is difficult. So I was criticizing your statement. I don’t know how you manage to understand anything else from it honestly. And yes!!! Reusing passwords makes phishing attacks easier and more successful.