• @LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    47 months ago

Have you looked into diy? Over 60% of the installation cost from an installer can just be labor which is ridiculous because it’s actually quite easy to do. Safely and without a ton of specialized tooling. They have inverters now that’s basically everything you could possibly need in a single box which makes the install trivial

• @dogma11@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      37 months ago

I remember looking into solar some 20 years ago. 5kWh battery bank was practically unheard of and iirc correctly was roughly $1k per kWh. Hopefully somebody with the time can come and correct numbers. Today you can find 5kWh battery banks for ~$2k.

Inverters I remember being about $5k-$10k for house sized and capable of running AC unit. Today roughly $1k-$2k.

Solar panels themselves I’ve not priced, but iirc I remember large arrays being $20k-$30k or more.

The cost to DIY a whole home off grid solar and battery bank system has gotten beyond easier, safer and an absolute fuck ton cheaper

• @LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        17 months ago

large arrays can now be had for as little as 5-7k when buying an entire pallet. the rest of the prices are about right