One of these pulled up at my workplace today and I can not get over how stupid they look and that got me thinking, who thought making a shittier version of an Odyssey was a good idea.

This thing can’t be useful as a truck, can’t seat as many as a van, costs $50k and burns more gas then an Odyssey (10l/100km hwy vs 8l/100km hwy). Does anyone who drives these things think they are hot shit?

• rikonium
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

It’s a different set of compromises. It’s actually pretty funny reading this because the Ridgeline is the odd-duck in pickup land with plenty of “not a real truck!! lol minivan!” derision.

Yea it’s not a body-on-frame, tow anything, crawl anywhere vehicle. But it’s a vehicle with an open bed for those with use for it and better fuel efficiency, interior space, comfort than its midsize competitors. It’s the truck most folks can likely do just fine with. Maybe someone wants AWD rather than part-time 4WD, a less trucky ride, etc.

Ignoring HyunKia engine quality and EZ theft, my Sorento can be considered a shit car since it’s not as good off-road as a 4Runner, not as nimble as an Accord, has less space than a Pacifica, uses more fuel than a Prius, cost more than a Mirage and tows less than a Frontier.

But on the flip side, it’s also better off-road than the Accord, seats more than the Frontier, uses less fuel and is smaller than both the 4Runner and Pacifica (gas) and tows more than the Prius. All about the point of comparison and compromises picked, maybe the Ridgeline will make more sense compared to a Tacoma - plenty of potential uses cases out there too that an open bed would be handy for, if you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it’s objectively dumb. (but not me at this time, except maybe a bed would be neat for my bike or trash.)

I think the styling is fine too, it’s just a basic pickup shape, no need to be so dramatic. Have you seen the first gen, or an Avalanche, Santa Cruz, Baja? I prefer this to the Silverado’s base front end too.

• M0oP0o@mander.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I guess I am just lamenting the death of neat small trucks and cars. This thing is not good on gas, the same size (width and length) as a full size truck, has the same visibility issues that plague new trucks, and seemingly is trying to be all things at the same time.

I get it, you don’t have a lot of options in today’s market, but this seems like we are going backwards.

• rikonium
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Fuelly has the Ridgeline averaging 20 MPG with its competitors around 17-19 (likely bigger gap if you compare to full-sizers but will vary depending on powertrain) and the gap will likely be larger cruising so its fuel economy for a pickup is solid save for the newer and smaller Maverick (especially in hybrid guise) and Santa Cruz - their beds are shorter though at 4.5 and 4 feet I believe.

Gas V6 minivans are pretty similar too at around 20 MPG as well real-life.

Comparing crew cab short beds directly, the F-150 (not counting mirrors) is ~2 inches wider and ~20” longer.

But I agree on width though, I was considering a Passport and the 78.5” width of the Honda midsize family (also Pilot, Odyssey) is a turn-off although in minivan land the others are also chunky. Rather not shove an extra four inches into a parking spot if I can avoid it.

Honestly I’d commend a Ridgeline buyer for getting one as the “responsible choice” if it meets their requirements since that or the Santa Cruz are probably the least “I’m tough!” looking pickups.

• M0oP0o@mander.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Maybe that is what gets in my gears so much, that this is the more “responsible choice”. I was not comparing it to any crew cab (I think that four door trucks are a core issue) or any newer truck but the 1980s c20 it was parked near. I guess we have to look to the past for better fuel economy and size (and that is insane).