If lemmy had user-defined filters, I’d use them. Right now I’m downvoting the stuff, but there’s already a community for musk-related stuff: !EnoughMuskSpam@kbin.social

• MrScottyTay
        link
        fedilink
        English
        17 months ago

News about a tech company is usually just business news and not news about tech though. Just like most Twitter news that gets posted on here.

• MrScottyTay
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Anything about the daily runnings of a company, it’s personnel and other business decisions is not news about tech, no matter what the company is. Tech news should be about the technology. New breakthroughs, new coding language releases, new hardware etc.

Edit: and to be a tech company is a company that creates tech, not always just one that uses it. I could be on the side of social media companies being tech companies, but that doesn’t mean all news about said companies are tech news, because they are not.

• @DogMuffins
        link
        English
        17 months ago

There are no “tech companies”, there a companies that deal with new and interesting technologies more than others, but that doesn’t mean that anything that company does is “tech news”.

Obviously the answer to “what is technology and what belongs in /c/technology” is subjective, everyone will have their own definition. But if your definition includes anything that social media companies do then you may as well just include any company with a website in your definition of technology.

If meta rolls out threads, that’s tech news because it’s a company experimenting with a new technology. If xitter wants to change it’s subscription pricing that’s not tech news, because it has very little to do with technology.