Japan’s automakers are keeping sports cars alive in the EV era::The Japan Mobility Show in Tokyo saw the debut of five different electrified sports cars, ranging from production-intent coupes to outrageous concept supercars.

• fiah
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

a small 2 door sports car, but it sure won’t be an EV. They’re not going to appeal to the part of the market who likes performance cars

Porsche will be releasing an EV in the Boxster/Cayman class and I think it’s going to prove you wrong by selling like hotcakes

• BURN@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I might be proved wrong, but it’s still never going to change my opinion that EVs are fine as commuter cars, but horrible for performance cars. An ICE is just better in almost every way.

• fiah
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

BEVs are currently definitely too heavy to be any good as a sports car, but I think you’re underestimating how good an electric drivetrain is. If batteries get light enough someday so that you can get decent range without the car weighing > 3000lbs, I bet there’ll be a BEV with your name on it

• BURN@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’ll end up with an EV, but it’ll be something boring as a commuter car. If I want something fun/for the track I’ll stick with a traditional engine. They’re just more fun. The sound and the way they respond is just so much different to an EV.