• Sowhatever
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m actually surprised how fast RISC V SBC have caught up with ARM based ones, but a laptop needs a lot more polish and mass production to be worth it.

As for ARM laptops, I’m afraid they will be windows only, secure boot or whatever, no GPU drivers, maybe even no wifi on Linux.

I have an M2 MacBook from work and it’s the closest thing one can get. Really impressive performance and efficiency, and the OS is acceptable once you get used to it.

• Open_Mike@artemis.camp
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I had some fun today trying to install Windows 11 on an m2 mac in a virtual machine. Couldn’t use virtualbox as their website was on holiday (bad gateway) so tried UTM. Set it to emulate x86 and have it a Windows 11 iso. About half an hour later it gets to asking about language ETC, and eventually crashed with an oobekeyboard error. Incredibly slow.

Tried again with an arm windows 11 download and native UDM and it worked OK. Not as fast as I’d expect, but I only gave it 4gb of ram.

• 2xsaiko
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

As for ARM laptops, I’m afraid they will be windows only, secure boot or whatever, no GPU drivers, maybe even no wifi on Linux.

Considering Asahi Linux exists which makes Linux on M model MacBooks possible, yet Apple is notorious for locking down their stuff and giving no hardware documentation whatsoever, I wouldn’t say that outright. Secure Boot should allow you to enroll your own keys, for example…

Although it would also be extremely funny for the only mainline ARM laptops that can run Linux to be MacBooks.

• Sowhatever
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes, but Asahi still doesn’t support everything on the laptop, like microphones or speakers, and last time I checked the power consumption was also not as good as Mac OS.