There are many closed source applications that have been removed from the Google Play catalog for various reasons.

Often this reason is the cessation of further development and maintenance of the application.

Why don’t these people make the code open to everyone if they don’t need it anymore?

This could bring great benefits to all people, but everything that was once created simply disappears.

• @Haui
    link
    107 months ago

Additional question: wouldn’t it be cool to have a place where you can only get open source stuff? Obviously there needs to be more to it than this fact i presume but its a start.

• @Haui
        link
        87 months ago

Oh! I didnt know that was OS only! Thanks for lmk!

• @jack@monero.town
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          7 months ago

You can also download Droid-ify instead for a nicer interface (backend is still F-Droid)

• @walkercricket@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      47 months ago

F-Droid isn’t the only one: I also like Neo Store, which has more than just the F-Droid repository and I think has a better interface. However, I think not all repo are 100% safe because F-Droid verify all the apps they have while Neo-Store doesn’t because it simply list known repos, which you can activate however you like in the settings.

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Lol like

• F-Droid, izzyondroid
      • Linux repos
      • Git* (Gitlab, Github, various instances)
      • Sourcehut
      • Codeberg
      • random neckbeard Git website