• recarsion
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Wait, you guys don’t pump your own gas by default? Is this some American thing I’m too europoor to understand?

• BananaPeal@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Most states do (illegal to pump your own in New Jersey), but the joke is more about tipping culture in this country.

• wunami@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

This meme isn’t implying that it’s unusual to pump your own gas. It’s implying that tipping culture in the US is progressing to the point of asking you to tip when you didn’t receive a service performed by anyone since you did it yourself.

Self service is the default for most of the US. New Jersey and (I think) Oregon require full service gas stations though.

• vrek@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I think Oregon got rid of that law last year… New Jersey still has it though

• gradyp@awful.systems
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Today I had lunch at a restaraunt, I was given the option to tip so I did, expecting to get service. I got the fast food treatment, they threw a tray on the counter that I had to pickup and when I went to leave they made me bus my own table…

I’ve got family that used to rely on tips so I’ve always been a generous tipper. The recent tip culture has completely changed me though and now these expected tips just piss me off.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Personally I’ll tip 10% or less if its an establishment that shouldn’t be asking for a tip, and 20% for an actual tipped profession. More ideally tipping will be phased out because these POS systems are letting it really get out of hand

• Dogeek@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I think you’re part of the problem dude, tipping 10% when they shouldn’t be asking for tips means that it’s worth it to them to now ask for tips.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

I see it as I’d rather give a meager tip than no tip if I incorrectly identify whether or not I should be giving a tip

• recarsion
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Oh, I see. Yeah the wording is weird in that case, “forced” to pump your own gas

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

In some parts of New York you have to wait and have someone else pump your gas, they call them and attendant. I lived in New York for a while, and it was just terrible, any gas station that required you to wait for someone else to pump your gas I just drove past. Because they would always be slow as hell. Meanwhile it was a clear in and out at all of the self-service stations

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It depends on where you are in New York, I lived in Niskayuna for a while, most of them were self-service, but I had at least one or two telling me to get into a line and wait for someone to pump my gas for me. And I just left immediately, next door had the same number of pumps, but no line because it was an establishment that was fully self-service. Meanwhile the one that wanted me to wait in line only had one guy attending the pumps.

I imagine the closer you get to Jersey the more common it is

• Whirling_Ashandarei@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I’ve been around all of NY, and even right next to Jersey it’s still not common. Maybe within Manhattan or Staten Island as those are the only 2 boroughs where I’ve never gotten gas, but even places right on the border of NJ mostly don’t have it. Agreed tho, hate anywhere that does it and I’ll just leave immediately.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

It was a common thing when I lived there. I told people I had moved to New York and I kept getting spiels about how a North Carolina chick like me could never survive the big city… when given more context they calmed down.

I lived in Oneonta for a bit before Niskayuna. It had been temporary. I was only there to have my GRS done (am trans) went back home when the procedure was finally done

I was so glad to make the switch. I had so many people larping Southerners there, talking about how they’re “Just like the dude from Duck Dynasty” and how great my home state was because “Everyone down there is rich becauae liberals don’t make them pay taxes!”

It was certainly eye opening. I suddenly knew how a Native American feels when John Jackson over at the frathouse puts on a feathered headdress and starts talking about “Hunting buffalo for many moons” in his worst impression of whatever racist old Western he’s seen.

I think what made me hit the peak of this nonsense was when I was eating at a local diner where the owners were speaking in a (blatantly forced) Southern Accent one morning, and I asked if they served grits.

They looked at me as if I had just asked for them to kill and serve me their pet dog, even had some guy (one of their regulars, it was a small town) munching a bagel audibly voice his disgust that someone would actually ask for grits.

Ya know what we call people who eat bagels in North Carolina? Tourists

And I think anyone who’s seen My Cousin Vinny knows how much we Southern folk like our grits.

When I moved to Niskayuna the situation improved. Sure it looked less like my home town, but that was for the best… I’d rather have Real New Yorkers introducing me to the best pizza I’ve ever had in my life than Fake Southerners scolding me for wanting grits.

• Whirling_Ashandarei@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    8 months ago

The city is it’s own beast, but omfg do I hate the South larpers in upstate and elsewhere! They are so annoying, flying confederate flags and shit when half of em have never even been 50 miles from their home town. You’ll even see some of that shit on Long Island. City people are much more open minded in general at least, it’s just the rent and cost of living that you have to survive. The food, including Southern food when you find it, is also world class in NYC - bad restaurants can’t survive.

Nisky is a cool area, I have some friends there, tho East Nisky has some of that Southern larping as well, it’s nowhere near as bad as it gets in the Southern Tier of NY from my experience as well - the people sharing the border with PA.

• kratoz29@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

In Mexico there are people working in the gas station, and it is up to you to tip or not, I usually only do it when they (unasked) clean my windows.

• kadu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Same in Brazil - in fact, if you tried to pump your own gas the employee would probably get scared and call the cops lol