Another great article from 404 Media highlighting the power that the tech giants have amassed over how how we use the internet.

This brings me, I think, to the elephant in the room, which is the fact that Google has its hands on quite literally every aspect of this entire saga as a vertically integrated adtech giant.

This extreme power over the adtech and online advertising ecosystem is one of the subjects of an FTC antitrust suit against Google.

• @OrangeCorvus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    257 months ago

I cannot watch a video from start to finish anymore. Thanks youtube. Almost every video is filled with bs fluff to reach the 8 minute mark. It annoys me greatly. Maybe also because I am in the industry and I learned in school to not use meaningless shit in my videos.

• Stantana
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I’ve not thought about them time markers in a long time. One that was kinda funny and bearable was Dave509’s twist.

"I need to reach a certain time limit on my videos, so for a few more minutes I’ll just sit here, nod and say “I agree” and “I understand”. Feel free to share whatever with me…

Sits in absolute silence for 30 seconds while staring at the camera

Yes, I agree."

But I have noticed I’ve gravitated to longer form videos, 30m+, for the last few years. I guess it has a lot to do with the fluff.

We shall from now on call such content creators “fluffers”.

• @aceshigh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        17 months ago

i’ve gravitated to long form interviews, 8+ hours has nothing on me. i listen to them when i go to sleep or watch art videos.