IHouse Republicans approved legislation Friday that would slash nearly 40 percent of the budget for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

The funding bill, passed by a 213-203 vote, cuts 39 percent of the EPA’s budget and would be the smallest budget the agency has had in three decades. Republican Reps. Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.), Mike Lawler (N.Y.) and Marc Molinaro (N.Y.) voted against the bill, while Democratic Rep. Vicente Gonzalez (Texas) was recorded as voting for it.

• SlopppyEngineer
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Of course you are restricted with what you can buy and use on the roads. Try to go full Mad Max with a battering ram and a flame thrower. Even drunk driving isn’t allowed. Why is that not allowed? It could hurt others. And exhaust is proven to hurt others too by premature status and even contribute to causing autism. But that kind of hurt is indirect so should be allowed because the inconvenience to charging is too big.

• Pasta4u@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Ah yes. I wonder how bad it will be with lithium posioning. What happens to all those kids that are mining the substance by hand in third world countries ? Doesn’t matter because that hurt is indirect to you? Maybe you are just racist and don’t care about people in third world countries ? What about all the by product that will sit and leach into the environment here ? Think of all the green technology out there like solar panels that aren’t recycled. How many decades of useless panels just sitting there decaying into our environment. But that is an indirect hurt right ? Just ignore it all so that you can feel like you did something good. And what of the poor people who have to replace thier junker with expensive electric cars. Let’s just add a huge cost burden on them. Oh and fuck them of they don’t own thier own way of charging the car. Make them go to a parking lot amd sit there for hours to charge their car. Cause fuck them they are poor am I right?

• SlopppyEngineer
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Lithium poisoning? Better not make laptops and phones anymore.

Those substances are also mined for oil production and infrastructure. Molybdenum for oil pipe lines. Cobalt for refining. Luckily research replacing those materials in green tech. The same cannot be said for fossil fuel production.

Where I live, recycling of solar panels is more than 90%. I hope gasoline recycling is about the same ratio.

Yes, cars are expensive. We should ideally invest in good, cheap and clean public transportation, but yeah, fuck the poor. Of course the poor also live closer to busy roads and have more health problems because of exhaust, but again fuck the poor. When climate change hits even more and houses get flooded or baked in heatwaves it won’t be the poor neighborhoods that’ll receive help first.