Google could kill YouTube Vanced for good::The company is exploring an integrity API that could lock down WebViews with DRM

• @jol
    link
    English
    -116 months ago

That’s not true. Do you think, say, coca cola cares if you click on ads? Not all ads are looking for clicks. Some just want to get impressions.

• @bstix@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      216 months ago

Yes it is true. They don’t make an impression when I don’t see it.

Call me old fashioned, but I have hands. I physically put my phone away because I do not want to watch the screen on my phone when the screen is showing an ad instead of showing what I wanted to see.

Companies are paying Google to show me ads that I don’t see.

Coca Cola’s brand recognition does not come from YouTube ads. It comes from signs in the real world, visual merchandising in stores and product placement in shows.

• @Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        136 months ago

Absolutely. There are petrol pumps that play fucking ads. What do I do? Enter car. That’s horrifying to me.

I haven’t had YouTube ads for a long time thanks to Firefox focus but if I did? I’d probably abandon the platform. Otherwise I’d just put my phone upside down for as long as the ad might be.

You’re entirely correct. I refuse to ads. I wish billboards were illegal here. Ads are a fuck.

• Kayn
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -66 months ago

Ads on the internet are a consequence of people not wanting to pay for internet services.

• Ænima
            link
            fedilink
            English
            96 months ago

This is absolutely not true as Steam and other niche streaming sites have proven. When you make it easier to buy what you’re selling, rather than doing everything in your power to nickel and dime consumers to pad your stock price, people are fine paying for those services and you don’t need ads.

Historically speaking, your statement is false, and there are multiple examples to prove it.

• Kayn
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -36 months ago

Then what’s difficult about paying for YouTube Premium?

• @jasep@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                56 months ago

It’s the enshitification of it all. They hike prices while removing features year after year. Corporate greed is never enough.

• @sock@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                46 months ago

they literally raise the price every other week do you think that’s sustainable to keep paying for (which is saying yes please take more money each time you pay)

• Kayn
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  -16 months ago

No, they do not “literally raise the price every other week”.

• @Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            66 months ago

Ads on the internet are fucking spyware, no thanks

I’ll take my PiHole and ublock and wipr and never see them again thanks

• @CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      86 months ago

This is only true for large, legacy companies like Coca Cola though. This doesn’t work for startups shilling shitty headphones, flashlights, VPNs, mobile games, etc because you’re unlikely to randomly come across their product when walking around the grocery store for example.