Qualcomm brought a company named Nuvia, which are ex-Apple engineers that help designed the M series Apple silicon chips to produce Oryon which exceeds Apple’s M2 Max in single threaded benchmarks.

The impression I get is than these are for PCs and laptops

I’ve been following the development of Asahi Linux (Linux on the M series MacBooks) with this new development there’s some exciting times to come.

• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Lots of tech companies might be interested. For example, at my work we are now stuck half way between x64 and arm, both on the server side and on the developers side (Linux users are on x64 and Mac users are on arm). While multiarch OCI/docker containers minimize the pains caused by this, it would still be easier to go back to a single architecture.

• Aux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Qualcomm chip won’t be binary compatible with Apple chips, so nothing will change for you.

• jmcs
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

If you build a docker image on an ARM Mac OS with default settings it will happily run on Linux on ARM, the same for a Go app compiled with GOOS="linux", for example. Of course you can always fix the issues that pop up by also specifying the architecture, but people often forget, and in the case of docker it has significant performance penalties.