• OpticalMoose
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Anyone else get discouraged by all the anti-capitalist rhetoric on Lemmy? https://lemmy.world/post/7989808
    It’s like they’re saying “It’s not possible to become a millionaire, so no point trying. It’s best to just hate on people who have money.”

I get the feeling that a channel like /c/landlord or /c/dividendinvesting would never take off on Lemmy.

disclaimer: not a millionaire(yet)

• FancyPantsFIRE@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Lemmy’s roots are far left of Reddit. The Reddit fiascos brought some less fringe populations into the mix, myself included, but it’s still a weird platform politically to discuss accumulating large amounts of money. I’ve honestly been a bit surprised that tankies haven’t jumped in to harass this community. Probably we’re just too small and inactive to be on peoples radar.

• OpticalMoose
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Sadly, Lemmy is a very polarized place. I will say people are pretty good at keeping their comments in appropriate communities, or the mods are doing a great job of policing it.

Trust me, I know about small and inactive. I moderate the Chip Stocks channel and that place is about as unpopular as you’d expect it to be, lol. Maybe one day we’ll attract more of a following here.

• FancyPantsFIRE@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Fingers crossed, I’ve been hanging out and trying to at least speak up in the weeklies since July or so, but I don’t think this entire community’s history matches a slow daily in the r/FI community in terms of engagement. Still haven’t gone back to Reddit, though.