• Yote.zip@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Is anyone else ducking promotions/responsibility? I’ve only got a handful of years left until my target number and I find it somewhat difficult to pretend that I’m planning on working for a few more decades. Management is always trying to get me to take more responsibility (gratis, of course) and training so I can be better prepared for “my future career”. I’m already in a senior position but of course it’s never enough. So far I’ve been able to shrug it off but I think it’s an interesting situation to be in.

At the moment I make so much money and realistically only work maybe 3-4 hours per day on average, and with my runway there’s practically no amount of money that I would accept to work more. In a way I’m already half-retired with my workload, and taking more roles would push me back into having a “full-time job”.

• FancyPantsFIRE@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I got pushed to take over my team a couple of years back when my boss left. It’s been a trip, I think I’m doing decently well at this point, but it came with literally zero pay change yet more hours and stress. Now I’m being pushed to take on an additional team in another country and office. It’s aggravating that if I say no it’ll negatively affect bonus, but if I say yes, it’ll likely somehow become the new baseline expectation. I get paid enough where bitching probably isn’t justified, but suffice it to say that stepping up for extra responsibility hasn’t worked well for me for pay or work life balance.

• runawaycorvid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m the same way. I basically only take on extra projects that would actually make my work easier in the long run.

• OpticalMoose
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Anyone else get discouraged by all the anti-capitalist rhetoric on Lemmy? https://lemmy.world/post/7989808
    It’s like they’re saying “It’s not possible to become a millionaire, so no point trying. It’s best to just hate on people who have money.”

I get the feeling that a channel like /c/landlord or /c/dividendinvesting would never take off on Lemmy.

disclaimer: not a millionaire(yet)

• FancyPantsFIRE@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Lemmy’s roots are far left of Reddit. The Reddit fiascos brought some less fringe populations into the mix, myself included, but it’s still a weird platform politically to discuss accumulating large amounts of money. I’ve honestly been a bit surprised that tankies haven’t jumped in to harass this community. Probably we’re just too small and inactive to be on peoples radar.

• OpticalMoose
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Sadly, Lemmy is a very polarized place. I will say people are pretty good at keeping their comments in appropriate communities, or the mods are doing a great job of policing it.

Trust me, I know about small and inactive. I moderate the Chip Stocks channel and that place is about as unpopular as you’d expect it to be, lol. Maybe one day we’ll attract more of a following here.

• FancyPantsFIRE@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Fingers crossed, I’ve been hanging out and trying to at least speak up in the weeklies since July or so, but I don’t think this entire community’s history matches a slow daily in the r/FI community in terms of engagement. Still haven’t gone back to Reddit, though.