Mark Zuckerberg personally rejected Meta’s proposals to improve teen mental health, court documents allege::Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg has personally and repeatedly thwarted initiatives meant to improve the well-being of teens on Facebook and Instagram, at times directly overruling some of his most senior lieutenants, according to internal communications made public as part of an ongoing lawsuit against the company.

• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

When I was a teenager (before smartphones were widespread although they were just arriving), I was the weird nerdy kid because I spent a lot of time online and many of my social contacts were online.

Today, everyone, especially teenagers, uses the Internet a lot. I feel weird because I don’t use many of those things like Instagram and TikTok and Snapchat. I don’t even know anymore where to meet new people on the Internet; on forums people tended to gradually get to know the other people, but on reddit and lemmy people somehow don’t tend to recognize usernames.

• Death_Equity@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I also was a teen as smartphones came into the mainstream.

I think that Facebook groups have largely taken the place of forums for online community with familiar users. On Lemmy and Reddit I feel the smaller subs tend to have more of the user recognition factor. On forums there are also the signatures and fairly prominent user panels next to posts that make a user stand out and be remembered. On Lemmy and Reddit there is only the username and it is not meaningfully different that the rest of a post header. I like that the user is less notable than the content they provide; it always was silly how a forum user would have a giant sig with all sorts of colors and animations closing out a single sentence post.