We all have been there… For the beginner it’s easy to mess things up. What are your horror stories with Git?

Link to xkcd

• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Those first couple months learning git… yeah, it is weird, but once it clicks… you’ll be surprised how truly simple it is.

The programming world would be awful without it

• mookulator@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Learning git was like every other cool tech thing for me (including the fediverse). People explain it in such a convoluted way. It’s like they think you want to understand the deep theory of it before you get up and running!

Yes, git is more than just a “save box”, but really, new users should absolutely just think about it as a save box. Learn the fancy shit later.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It was awful. The fact that SVN is still used terrifies me. People are actively choosing to live their lives like that

• cliffhanger407@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Git was just released while I was in college, and I was in a group project that required us to use SVN. First job was a TFS shop. When git finally matured to the point that it couldn’t be ignored anymore, life became much much more sane.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Subversion has some features git lacks or lacked for a very long time (I think it has most now). The biggest being able to easily clone and work with a subset of the repository. That’s Subversion’s entire thing! Don’t misunderstand, I prefer git and think it is better.

• Mikina@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’ve recently worked on a project that was using Plastic SCM for version control, and omg the QoL is so insane on that one. It’s such a shame that Unity are greedy as fuck and tend to ruin everything they acquire, the licensing costs for Plastic are awful.

For example - I really low how it tracks what was merged from where, so merges aren’t just a single commits, and if you for example pull something into a feature branch you are working on, and then merge the branch into master, all of the files that come from your branch are listed as changes in the commit, but files that were merged into your branch are marked as “merged from XXX”.

Having PRs (code reviews) integrated into the client is also nice, since you can just link changes with change requests directly, and since it was made for Unity projects it also pretty nicely handles large files.

It’s a shame that Unity acquired it, though. My last experience with their business model was when I was looking for a streamed remote play solution for a Unity game - which was exactly what Parsec offered as a free open source SDK for years. Until Unity bought them and close-sourced it (or rather - changed to "contact us for access to the SDK)), and when I contancted them for the SDK for our small student’s game, they were willing to cooperate and give us an access - if we pay them 1 000 000USD for it. Which they had the balls to ask for even though I’ve specificly mentioned in the email that we are a bunch of students who work on a small game in our free time, which I find really baffling :D