• @Smokeydope@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    376 months ago

Amazon can’t make TVs or ereades without filling them to the brim with ads and spyware like the greedy shits they are, I dont want to think about how screwed up their OS would be. As much as I sneer at Microsoft and windows BS as a snobby Linux user I get the impression amazon would be way worse and make Ol Gatey boy say ‘have a little class, would you?’

• Nik282000
      link
      fedilink
      116 months ago

If it runs Amazon-Linux it won’t take long for someone to build a Wamazon Linux distro with all the features and none of the crap.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky
        link
        fedilink
        English
        96 months ago

If anything, it’ll be a thing where amazon ends up close sourcing the code/parts that they create after forking whatever OS they decide. That, or they’ll just close source the entire codebase 100% before release without any regard or repercussions.

• @FutileRecipe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        6 months ago

it won’t take long for someone to build a Wamazon Linux distro with all the features and none of the crap.

I don’t know what “features” Amazon would include that aren’t somehow directly tied into their store and ease of shopping…aka “crap.” It’s not like they would build a better video/audio driver or something. It would all just be more…advertising and analytics, probably on a cheap platform as hardware has never been their largest source of income, to include Kindles (AWS is, last I checked). Strip those two out of their build and we have essentially an untouched kernel lol, at least that’s how I see it happening.