Hi everyone, looking for help with an SSD/Win problem: My Thinkpad with Win11 has been acting up lately, and I am fairly sure the problem is with the SSD (very high disk load on startup and shortly before each of the many many crashes.) I would like to avoid having to set up my system from scratch.

I have a new SSD and have tried the following:

• leave bitlocker intact, boot into Ubuntu live, dd the old disk to an external USB drive, install new SSD, dd disk to new SSD
  • same as above but with bitlocker disabled
  • boot into Clonezilla live, clone old SSD to external storage, clone external storage to new SSD
  • clean Windows install on new SSD and clone c: partition to new SSD with Clonezilla

All of these attempts invariably lead to an “INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE” blue screen, and “bootrec /fixboot” and the like executed from the recovery CMD shows “0 Windows installations found.” Booting into Ubuntu live with the cloned SSD installed I can see all my user data intact with no apparent problems.

Is my old SSD/Windows installation broken beyond repair and do I have to accept it and move on or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help or pointers!

• tofublOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

When you say

Note which partition is active/bootable on the old SSD

you mean which partition has the “boot” flag, correct?