• dingleberry
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Medieval peasant’s idea of luxury was also “some butter”. Let’s not glorify the past.

• banneryear1868@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

They loved showing off what spices they had, like “yo this is a nutmeg pie, that’s right I got nutmeg bitches.” Some of the recipes are actually hilarious cause they seem to be based around showing off your spices, the original lasagna for example.

What’s also funny is the foods peasants could afford and eat, were at least to our modern diet a lot healthier than what the lord would eat. They’d be eating root vegetables, cabbage, squash, porridges. Cheese as well because it was a method of preservation and the separated whey had it’s own uses, lot of peasants made their own cheese. Meanwhile the lord would be eating marrow and fatty salted meats, hunting his own game, or more like wanting people to believe he did so trying to curate that image of himself. Maybe commission a “morning hunt” portrait of himself in case you weren’t sure.

• ickplant@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

All I need is some cheese to be happy. And a tip from my tenants. (Just kidding, I’m not a landlord, please don’t kill me)

• Prunebutt@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

We’ve had the 40h work week for about 100 years and more or less exponential growth for that time, too. Why did that never turn into more leisure time?

No one is asking for feudal society. Just more leisure