geteilt von: https://lemmy.world/post/8371095

Long post and well worth the read, but the interesting part to me is this:

Windows operating system and apps

Customers using Windows have always used a combination of operating system functionality as well as apps, but now Windows will clearly identify operating system functionality in places like Settings, Start, and Search:

• Settings > System > System Components will show notable operating system components.
  • Start menu’s All Apps list has been renamed to All and operating system components are labeled with “system”.
  • Under Search, search results will show operating system components labeled with “system”.

All apps in Windows can be uninstalled. Of course, apps can always be installed again from the Microsoft Store and internet. Settings > Apps > Installed apps continue to show all the apps installed on the PC and we’ve added the ability to uninstall:

• Camera
  • Cortana
  • Web Search from Microsoft Bing, in the EEA
  • Microsoft Edge, in the EEA
  • Photos
  • jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

So, they went to the trouble of keeping a different set of functionalities just for Europe instead of unshittifying Windows for everyone. Wow.

• vmachiel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

So it must be worth a lot of money to force al of that stuff on users right?

• vmachiel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Is it that bad now? I don’t use windows products in my private life, only at work. And I don’t find things that bad over there, but maybe that’s because it’s windows for business

• notepass@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Your business sysadmins will have gone through the trouble of getting rid of any bullshit. My companies windows installs are more chill than default win11 versions.

• AAA@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

It’s not. People just like to complain. Ad-bloat in the Camera, and Photos app? Edge doesn’t show more ads than other browsers without an ad-blocker. I don’t think Cortana is specifically pushing ads and Web Search from Bing… well Google is also pushing ads wherever they can.

This is not about ads, it’s about choice.

• Sigmatics@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Edge used to be fine until the recent GPT craze. Now they added a giant obnoxious Bing AI circle ad in the top right. Bing is of course default everywhere. At this point I’m just waiting for the MSN bar to reappear

• Demosthememes@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

You’re partly right, it is not about ads. It is about the integrated control of your camera, your media & other peripherals/software/data by Cortana - which rings home all day long - all from behind closed source software which does who-knows-what with the information it gathers.

• zerofk@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

How quickly they forget. Canonical added Amazon ads to Ubuntu 10 years ago. They walked it back after huge backlash, but don’t believe that any corporate-backed Linux is immune to “shittifying”.

• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

The good thing about that is that you have the choice to avoid Ubuntu and still retain 100% functionality (at least as a private user), but there’s only a small handful of Windows versions with extremely minor differences.

• trollercoaster@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Linux distributions and/or components have been, and will be, shittified repeatedly. Not as badly as commercial operating systems, but pretty bad anyway.

• Shayeta@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Because it has never been good enough for the average terminal-averse user to begin with.

• Sureito@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

You don’t need that in todays world. Otherwise the Steam Deck would have been dead on arrival

• Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Counter-point, on the Steam Deck/ SteamOS almost anything involving getting past the one app shell (Steam) or installing from a store (flathub) requires terminal and often does not survive system updates. It honestly sounds like Windows 8 typing it out.

• ShaunaTheDead@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

There are plenty of distros which can be operated entirely through graphical user interfaces. Ubuntu, for example.

• MiddledAgedGuy@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I love Linux, but I’ll admit what you say has some credence.

Linux has a lot of polish now. Most big distros are going to have an easy to use GUI installer, and there are several mature very usable desktop environments.

But, for example, if a new user has an nvidia card it’s probably going to be a poor experience for them and they won’t understand why or how to fix it. So there’s shortcomings there. I blame nvidia for this specific issue, but your average user probably doesn’t care about that. They just want their video card to work well.

• Shayeta@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

It is definitely getting better. I’ve been running the same Arch installation with KDE for the last 5 years at work. Surprisingly stable and had little to no issues.

Still, the issues I did have required a basic understanding of what a package manager is, what does sudo do, and other general linux knowledge.

The results difference between a newbie googling “wifi doesnt work” and an experienced user googling “networkmanager service logs showing error XY” is just too great.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Hmm… but the registry hooks for those uninstalls must be in there even if the option isn’t surfaced in the UI right?

Maintaining different UI options is one thing, maintaining completely different OS versions is another… and it seems like it would be prohibitively complex and expensive to do that.

Probably all you’d need is for someone with the EU version to export a backup of the relevant parts of their registry, and distribute that so anyone who wants to can have the same uninstall options. The trick would be keeping it that way through Windows updates.

• Treczoks@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Well, they are no longer allowed to milk victims in the EU thanks to good laws. That does not mean they cannot exploit those who are not protected.