• cryptix
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

With googles history of killing stuff , I don’t want my free games library to die 😖

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I do, they fucking killed Bandcamp. Absolutely fuck em in their stupid shithole asses I don’t give enough of a fuck about free games to be okay with them buying Bandcamp only to do FUCK NOTHING with it and then sell it to be hollowed out.

I started caring about how little artists got paid in the 90s for their music, and it’s just gotten worse with fucking bullshit like Spotify.

Bandcamp was the last place you could pay for artists directly, which included Bandcamp Fridays where 100% of what you spent went in artists pockets.

I was able to get high quality lossless FLAC files with NO DRM that I could keep forever.

Fuck your stupid fucking free games. They destroyed the last good place for musicians. That makes their free games less than worthless bullshit.

They deserve to be a forgotten footnote from Google.

• MrBubbles96@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Hold up sir/madam, is Bandcamp actually dead or is it still kicking? I used to frequent it until the Epic Buyout and honestly haven’t kept up with their goings on. The fact that they bought it just to hold on to it is just ludicrous to me tho, like, they couldn’t find ANYTHING to do with it? Nothing at all? Really?

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

It’s still kicking, but barely, the new owners shitcanned half the staff day one, so while the site is still there and you can currently still buy music, long-term prospects aren’t very good. Songtradr are just money-men, they don’t give a shit about music, here’s an example.

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/bandcamp-bargaining-union-layoffs-songtradr-18432047.php

Songtradr, Bandcamp’s new owner, wrote in its announcement of the acquisition that it would offer artists the choice to have their music licensed to content creators, game and app developers, and brands. The firm advertises its ability to provide music to TikTok, for example. For the tech company, which has raised over $100 million from investors, Bandcamp is the latest in a long string of acquisitions, according to TechCrunch.

Songtradr’s editorial blog has marketing-focused articles with titles like “Rock Music is the Perfect Condiment For This Fast Food Brand,” which goes on to methodically and statistically analyze the music in Taco Bell ads. Bandcamp’s most recently published feature, on the other hand, is titled, “Imperial Crystalline Entombment, Black Metal Mysterians, Break the Ice.”

• MrBubbles96@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I see. So it’s less “it’s dead” and more “it’s on life support with slim chances to recover”.

sigh as naive as the hope is, i really want it to make a comeback. It most likely won’t, but I wanna be proven wrong.

• 800XL@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s the beauty of allowing gaming companies to deliver everything digitally over the internet! All of our digitally purchased goods are one bad quarter of earnings or new CEO desparate to impress an executive board away from having an arbitrary expiration date put upon them. And we will have no recourse other than a class-action lawsuit where each person recoups pennies for each good purchased or mandatory arbitration where we get nothing!