Out of the box it can play audio in the background, and now that extensions are available you can block ads as well. You don’t really need constantly updating 3rd party clients or questionable firewalls anymore if you just want usable youtube on a phone.

• Chewy
    link
    English
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Are youtube ads in Firefox on iOS blocked? They are with uBlock on Firefox Android, but iirc Firefox on iOS doesn’t support extensions.

• @TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      105 months ago

Yeah I’m almost positive you’re right and the person you’re responding to is not. All browsers on iOS are skins of safari essentially right now. That’s about to change but only thanks to the EU

• @Swarfega@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Is that confirmed now? It was actually a major reason why I decided against the iphone when upgrading my phone this year.

• ~/scaglio
          link
          fedilink
          English
          55 months ago

Firefox on iOS still doesn’t support extensions and yes, is still based on the same engine as the other browsers.

YT ads are not blocked on Firefox on iOS, I just tried.

• lunazea
            link
            fedilink
            English
            35 months ago

oh yeah, I forgot about the whole apple engine. it’s kind of nonsense that all browsers have to use it. Let’s hope this will change when Apple introduces sideloading

• poncho
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

If thats the case, yeah think that guy is wrong too. I guess they would have to rely on using some kind of frontend like piped through their browser