I’m thinking of switching to linux and I’m looking for a lighter weight easy starter distro. Any tips or recommendations?

• TheyCallMeHacked
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

OP said lightweight. Ubuntu is many things, but lightweight isn’t one of them.

• makunamatata
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How about Lubuntu or Xubuntu? What are the drawbacks of these?

• TheyCallMeHacked
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Imo, they’re better than Ubuntu with Gnome in terms of resources, but they have two drawbacks: it’s still Canonical, so all their controversial decisions affect you too, and it’s still rather resource intensive because Ubuntu and it’s derivative want to be very easy to install with minimal configuration. The latter is an advantage if you want a system that “just works™”, but becomes a drawback when your resources are limited

• seiryth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I took lightweight as in “easy to get into” as opposed to “write your own wireless driver”. My bad!

• cfx_4188
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Install the Ubuntu server. Do not install any (suggested) programs and DEs. After reboot manually install xorg, xinit and some lightweight WM (for example sudo apt install xmonad xmobar). Open terminal and write echo >> ~/xinitrc exec xmonad (for example). Reboot. At the tty prompt type startx /usr/bin/xmonad. You get an empty and fast ubuntu-based distro.

• TheyCallMeHacked
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s more of a hassle than just installing Debian with your preferred WM. Plus doing the latter, you don’t have to scratch your head at snaps

• cfx_4188
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

undefined> It’s more of a hassle than just installing Debian with your preferred WM. Plus doing the latter, you don’t have to scratch your head at snaps

I think setting up wifi in Debian netinstall will be just as troublesome as fighting the dreaded and horrible snap.

• cfx_4188
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

There is a wifi/bluetooth module, the rtl8821. It comes with cheap or old Windows laptops, try to find an open source driver for it.

• TheyCallMeHacked
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

I happen to have this exact chipset in my laptop (RTL8821CE to be exact), and it has driver modules directly in the mainline kernel (rtw_8821ce). The only possible issue would be firmware, but I honestly had absolutely no issue installing Arch, Gentoo, or Debian (with the non-free firmware iso) on it multiple times.

• cfx_4188
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 year ago

undefined> I happen to have this exact chipset in my laptop (RTL8821CE to be exact), and it has driver modules directly in the mainline kernel (rtw_8821ce). The only possible issue would be firmware, but I honestly had absolutely no issue installing Arch, Gentoo, or Debian (with the non-free firmware iso) on it multiple times.

We talked about using only free firmware, drivers, etc. I gave an example. For example, I am much more comfortable using OpenBSD than Arch/Gentoo/Debian. But I can’t do that because the elements of the firmware are in the kernel, but not enough to make it work properly. With any Linux distribution this is not a problem.

• TheyCallMeHacked
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

We never mentioned the restrictions of only free firmware. In fact your argument of installing Ubuntu only makes sense in the first place, because Ubuntu ships non-free firmware